Our school thrives on a strong partnership between the school and home. We are happy to have the support of our families: in the classroom, around campus, and in our community. Thank you for choosing May Sands Montessori as your child’s education provider.
On this page MSMS families will find the following information:
- MSMS Family FAQ’s
- Required Forms for MSMS Families
- School Lunch Options and Information
- Helpful Tools for MSMS Families
- Family-School Volunteering Commitment information
- School Committee Information
The Parent Liaison facilitates parent access to information about the school and its programs and advocates for families to resolve disputes. Thank you, Jonathan Blum (parent, Sea Star class), for serving as our Parent Liaison.
Parents can contact Jonathan via email at: [email protected]
MSMS Family FAQ’s
- What time does school start? 8:15 A.M.
- What time can I drop my child off? Between 7:45 A.M and 8:15 A.M. (Please note: if you drop your child off AFTER 8:15 A.M, you must bring them to the front office and sign them in.)
- What time does the school day end? 3:15 P.M.
- What if I need to pick up my child early? As a courtesy to our classroom communities, students shall not be released within the final 30 minutes of the school day except in case of an emergency. We highly recommend that you email your child’s Lead Guide (teacher) ahead of time. You will be required to sign-out your child at the front desk.
- How late can I pick my child up? Dismissal is from 3:15 P.M to 3:30 P.M. (Please note: if you arrive AFTER 3:30 P.M your child will automatically go to After School Care and you will be charged the daily fee.)
- Who can pick up my child? Only individuals that are listed on your child’s Authorized Pick Up List for the current school year. (Need to complete the form? Please scroll down to the next section.)
- What time is Early Dismissal? Early dismissal is 12:00 P.M. Pick up time is 12:00 P.M. to 12:15 P.M. After School Care is normally available on early dismissal days, however, we advise you to check with the front desk. (Please note: if you arrive AFTER 12:15 P.M your child will automatically go to After School Care and you will be charged the daily fee.)
- What are the After School Care hours and fees? After School Care is from 3:30 P.M to 5:30 P.M SHARP. Fees are $12 per day pre-paid or $15 a day to be paid at the time of pick up. Weekly and sibling discounts apply. For more information and to register for After School Care PLEASE CLICK HERE
- Is there a school supplies list? No, school supplies are provided by the school and you will be billed for these items. We are able to purchase in bulk at a very discounted price that we pass on to the MSMS families.
- Why does the school fund-raise if it is a public school offering free education? As a public charter school, we do not receive the same federal funding that a traditional public school receives. Typically we only receive 80% of the needed funds to operate, therefore we need to bridge that gap through fundraising activities.
- Why do I have to complete a volunteer application? Before any individual can have campus access for any activity – teacher conferences, student events, volunteering tasks – the Monroe County School District (MCSD), in line with the Florida state legislation for school security, requires everyone to complete the volunteer application process & under-go a background check. To be in compliance with this state legislation, nobody is approved to access the school campus until this process is completed and approval status has been granted by the MCSD.
- Can I give money & donate items in lieu of completing service hours? No. The school is not allowed to offer volunteer service hours for money &/or items donated. However we will honor the time it takes you to shop and deliver the items to the school, this is normally no more than 1 hour – please verify the amount of time you can log with the school’s front office.
Required Forms for MSMS Families
We have transitioned most of our required school forms to digital format, using Google Forms. The following forms are required each school year for school records:
Authorized Student Pick-Up List – This form must be completed to allow family members and friends to pick-up your child from school.
Family Handbook 2020 School Year – All MSMS families should be familiar with the handbook.
Family-School Commitment Agreement – All MSMS families must complete this form.
Health History and Emergency Contact Information Form – For privacy reasons, this form is not available in electronic format. Please click on the following link to open and print the PDF form, then return it to the school’s front office: Health History_Emergency Contact Form 2019_2020
Honor Code – MCSD – Completion of this form is required by the Monroe County School District (MCSD).
Independent Student Travel Permission – This form must be completed for your child to walk, bicycle, etc to and from school without parental supervision.
Student Travel Permission for School Sponsored Outings – This form provides blanket permission to allow your child to walk with MSMS staff and volunteers to nearby locations for field trips.
Volunteer Release Form and Application – All MSMS families are required to complete their Volunteer Application & Release Form. Any MSMS family member who will be on the school campus must complete this process. Additionally please remember that 25 service hours per school year is required by MSMS families.
School Lunch Options and Information
There are 3 options for your child’s school lunch:
1.) Monroe County School District Free and Reduced Lunch Program: One family application is required annually. If you have qualified for SNAP, TANF or MEDICAID, and application may not be necessary. To see if you qualify for meal benefits, please complete the online MCSD application: https://frapps.horizonsolana.com/welcome
To make lunch payments: https://www2.mypaymentsplus.com/welcome
For information about menus and pricing please visit the Meal Menu and Price List.
2.) Marc House Rainbow Cafe: Families can pre-order a lunch delivery by calling 305-296-4293 *2.
PLEASE NOTE: MSMS only allows student lunch delivery from either the MCSD Meal Program or the Marc House Rainbow Cafe. Meal delivery from any other entity is not allowed.
3.) Send a packed lunch: Refrigeration and re-heating are not available, please ensure that your child’s lunch is packed in an insulated lunch bag.
Helpful Tools for MSMS Families
MSM Code of Conduct Handbook Update_Oct. 2019 (Please note: this is an extract from the Family Handbook)
Family-School Volunteering Commitment
Charter school families make a commitment to support their student’s school through volunteer service hours, and the Monroe County School District requires all family volunteers to complete a volunteer application. Volunteers cannot begin volunteering until school district approval is given.
At May Sands Montessori School (MSMS), each family is responsible for giving 25 hours annually – with five of those hours dedicated toward fundraising activity – and participation in one (1) school committee is required. All school service hours must be verified by a committee chairperson or a member of MSMS staff. Families are required to sign in and out at the school’s front office and are responsible for completing their family record of service hours – also located at the school’s front office. We cannot convert monetary donations to Service Hours.
Throughout the school year there will be many opportunities for families to earn service hours through varied forms of support; from serving on committees, campus activities and tasks, or volunteering at events.
To complete your School Volunteer Application PLEASE CLICK HERE
To see the Volunteers Tasks Available PLEASE CLICK HERE
PLEASE NOTE – Page 51 of our Family Handbook addresses consequences of incomplete service hours:
Consistent with F.S. 1002.33(10)(e)5, the parent volunteer contract is enforceable under Florida law, and failure of a parent or legal guardian to uphold or fulfill their responsibilities under said contract would be sufficient grounds for denial of admission to the school the following year. As a public school of choice, the May Sands Montessori School relies on a strong home-to-school connection for the success of its program. Failure on the part of the family to uphold the contract of commitment jeopardizes not only the school’s overall performance but may affect the child’s educational potential as well. Families will be notified in writing of the consequence for nonfulfillment of the Contract of Commitment, which is the placement of his/her child/children in the lottery drawing, to determine enrollment for the coming school year. A parent or legal guardian may request benevolence from the Charter Board of Directors, who will address cases of hardship on a case-by-case basis.
School Committee Information
Participation in at least one committee is a requirement for each family at May Sands Montessori School.
House & Grounds Committee: Craig Reynolds, Chair
Finance Committee: Chase Hurst, Chair
Community Cultivation Committee: Elissa Bennett, Chair
Enrichment & Aftercare Committee: Christina Joy, Chair
Public Relations Committee: James Villegas, Chair