Hello and welcome to the 2018 school year!
Our school team is hard at work preparing our special learning environments for the first day of school! We still have outstanding projects for which we would GREATLY appreciate helping hands:
- assembling shelves
- planting flowering groundcover along the inside of our front fence
- setting basketball hoop in place
- removing paint from concrete
- light yard work
First Days of School
We will welcome students in grades 3, 6, and 8 on Monday (8/14) and there will be a noon dismissal. All other students will report to school next Tuesday (8/15) and we will dismiss again at noon. Our first full day of school is next Wednesday, August 16th. Thank you for ensuring your child is at school by 8:15 so that we can start our day on time.
- Students in the Primary and Lower Elementary program levels will need to bring a change of clothes, packed in a sealed bag (i.e. Zip-lock), labeled with their name.
- Students in Lower and Upper Elementary will require indoor shoes – ones with firm soles are preferred over slippers; these shoes will remain at school throughout the year.
- All students will need to bring a reusable water bottle to school, daily, labeled with their name.
- Students who choose to bring a packed lunch will need an insulated and labeled lunchbox.
May Sands Montessori School has purchased school supplies for all program levels; this includes all periodical subscriptions, paper, pencils, notebooks, glue, and other consumable student supplies. Fees per program level are as follows:
- Primary (Kindergarten): $20/student
- Lower Elementary: $35/student
- Upper Elementary: $45/student
- Early Secondary: $55/student *students at this program level must purchase their own graphing calculator*
Our first All-School Meeting takes place at 6:00 on Wednesday, August 23rd at school. Thank you for making arrangements for at least one representative from your family to attend our All-school meeting.
Hosting regular blood drives benefits our community and May Sands Montessori as well; OneBlood gives our school $10 for each blood donor! As an incentive for donors, OneBlood will have a Fandango movie voucher for everyone who donates, and May Sands families who donate blood during our event will also earn two service hour points – be sure to sign up today! This is a link for anyone who wants to skip a line and book the online appointment (not required, but strongly recommended for those with busy schedules): Click Here
Our first family fundraising event of the school year takes place Thursday, August 24th from 5:30 – 9:30 at Mangia Mangia! Restauranteurs Mike and Heather Barnes will donate a portion of the evening’s sales to May Sands Montessori! We will share the event on social media later this week, stay tuned…
Local bookseller Books & Books @ the Studios of Key West is hosting an art contest, and anyone can enter! They are calling upon art enthusiasts to submit one piece of art inspired by their favorite book. The winning piece will be displayed in Books & Books for one month, and the winner will receive a $500 Books & Books Art Supply Gift card. Contest details state, ‘Inspiration comes in all forms so feel free to incorporate as much or as little reference to the book in your piece as you like.’ There is a $10 registration fee. Visit the store from 10-6 or check out http://booksandbookskw.com/art-contest/ for all the details. Entrants can also register their submission online here: http://booksandbookskw.com/sac-registration/. Finished artwork needs to be submitted by 6 pm on September 29th .