Information about Safely Maintaining On-Campus School Operations
We are sensitive to how the limitations on school operations due to COVID-19 affect our families, and we continue to ask questions as well as seek guidance from the Monroe County Department of Health as well as the Centers for Disease Control. On its website, the Monroe County School District recently posted ‘The Top 10 Must Knows’ for operating schools during the current level of community transmission, and I have included additional/specific information regarding our school’s practices below:
- All students will receive instruction via Google classrooms, while in-person space restrictions are in place.
- Attendance and active participation in our learning environments are mandatory, whether in-person or online. Observations of student performance occur daily.
- Due to the 6’ distance requirement between students in classrooms, our school limited the number of students receiving instruction on campus with a priority for vulnerable populations.
- Our school is not able to offer childcare before school or after school, while in-person space restrictions are in place. This will not preclude our cohort of on-campus VPK students from accessing extended day care until the regular dismissal day.
- We have on-site health and safety protocols and require signed agreement from all students on campus and their parent/guardian, which includes:
A daily wellness check by the student’s parent/guardian before coming to school
A daily temperature check by school staff upon arriving at school
Face coverings at all times except for when seated at a designated space at the lunch area
Limiting items brought to school (no toys, furniture, or backpacks)
Frequent handwashing and use of hand sanitizer when handwashing isn’t available
Cleaning personal space before leaving the lunch area and before leaving school for the day
Agreement to keep the student home if any of the following symptoms are present
- Fever of 100.4 or higher
- Shortness of breath
- Sore throat
- Body aches
- Loss of taste or smell
- Severe headache