The Montessori Method
The May Sands Montessori School’s educational philosophy is based on the premise that excellence in education requires:
- A close collaboration between parents and school staff. Parent engagement is vital to the success of our programs.
- A child-centered curriculum that is developmentally appropriate and includes movement, manipulation, and discovery within a multi-age classroom.
- Guides (teachers) who keenly observe each student’s style of learning to present the curriculum in a manner that instills a sense of wonder about the universe and the child’s place within that universe.
- A carefully prepared learning environment that fosters a love for learning and allows students to achieve learning gains through personal motivation.
- Extending the classroom out into the community, creating a web of exchange among community members, families, and educational staff.
New to Montessori?
Montessori Glossary of Terms
Montessori in the Home
Freedom with Responsibility
NPR Ed: Freedom to Explore
The Process and Qualities of Normalization
Montessori and the Mainstream
Video by Lorna McGrath, Montessori teacher educator, conference presenter, and school consultant: https://youtu.be/6EuZwaV1lRg
The Montessori Notebook Instead of This, Say That
AMS Family Connection April 2022
View more resources from our YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIp7TGfrd85eh07POIyetFQ